There are a number of different methods to achieve affiliate marketing. We will be focusing on CPA Affiliate Marketing in this post, how it works, what benefits are there and more importantly how to get started if you choose it is right for you.
CPA stands for cost per acquisition, commonly called Cost Per Action. This is where you earn a commission for someone taking an action rather than making a purchase. Acquisitions range from requests for service, filling out forms to installs or downloads. It is a multi-billion-dollar industry and many affiliate marketers are using CPA Affiliate Marketing without even realising it.
How Does CPA Affiliate Marketing Work?
CPA Marketing is where you can earn revenue without actually making a sale. A simple example would be, an insurance company paying you just for a lead. You send someone from your website to a website or comparison site where they fill in an insurance quote. They might not necessarily take out the insurance policy, but that doesn’t matter you get paid for the lead either way.
The most common example you may have come across is display advertising through Google Adsense or MediaVIne. Whilst these are common across many sites, they are best left until the point where you are getting a ton of traffic. You need high levels of traffic to earn decent money from CPA Marketing via these routes. MediaVine won’t even accept you until you are getting 30,000 monthly visitors – so definitely one to target when you reach those levels, but not if you are just starting out.
CPA Affiliate Marketing is definitely worth it in the long run but starting out it will be hard to just target it, you are best off using it alongside normal affiliate marketing.
What Differences are there between Affiliate Marketing & CPA Affiliate Marketing?
There are some key differences between Affiliate Marketing and CPA Affiliate Marketing. Affiliate Marketing is typically promoting a product or service, and you receive a commission if someone buys that product or service. Most new affiliate marketers will target Amazon. It is the world’s largest marketplace and has an affiliate program that is easy to join.
CPA Affiliate Marketing does not necessarily rely on the sale. If you lead them to a company, that is enough to earn the commission. If someone sees an ad on a website that they click onto, but don’t buy anything you will still earn the commission. CPA is often compared to lead generations, not direct sale.
The Benefits of CPA Affiliate Marketing
CPA Affiliate Marketing has many benefits. Mainly down to it be truly passive. You need to put in a lot of groundwork to build up the traffic and actually monetise your website. But writing an article and then taking a couple of seconds to add a Google Ad onto it, means all of your work is done.
Other types of CPA affiliate marketing, where a specific task is required, can also have fairly substantial pay-outs.
Let’s say you have a website that compares home or car insurance. Instead of promoting one brand, you could incorporate a number so that people will get a quote from 5 or 6 to see which the best deal is. Having a CPA affiliate partnership with each will result in them all paying you for the lead. Even if none of them get a sale.
CPA Affiliate marketing done right can be extremely profitable, even without selling anything.
Which Is Best? Which Should I Choose?
I wouldn’t even thing of it that way, I would suggest anyone to utilise both. The best part about CPA Affiliate Marketing is it will work on pretty much any blog or website. No matter, what your current monetisation methods are.
You could easily use both methods on any website, and as long as you focus on creating great helpful content that builds up high levels of traffic, you could see that both methods will earn you decent amounts of return.
How to Get Started in CPA Affiliate Marketing?
Like anything, research is going to be key to success with CPA Affiliate Marketing. You are going to want to search for CPA Affiliate Networks out there and check them out. Just like joining a normal affiliate network you are going to want to review the services they offer, pay structure and the variety they offer.
You also need to check out the criteria for applying to these networks. Many of them are looking for websites that are already drawing in high traffic already and if you are not there yet, you will not be accepted. Don’t apply too early, focus on creating great content and getting organic traffic and then applying later.
It is the same regardless of the strategy you follow, build content, attract visitors and then monetise your site.
CPA Networks are really particular about who they accept, because their model is based on your legitimacy, so you may get turned down. The key is to not get discouraged and follow these tips on being accepted when applying for a CPA network.
- Even though CPA Marketing doesn’t rely on having a website, having an established website with a daily stream of visitors will definitely tip the balance in your favour.
- Have a domain specific email address will show you are credible. Compare John@bestaffiliatemarketingtools.org to John@gmail.com. there is a key difference between them.
- Be totally honest about you past history, site traffic and conversion rates. They will check out your traffic volumes anyway, so lying about it will not work and ruin any future applications you try with them too.
- Don’t give up. If you are not accepted at this point, carry on working on content and try again later down the line.
If you are just starting out with affiliate marketing, I would totally recommend you work with a platform such as Wealthy Affiliate. It is the only training program I would recommend for learning effective ways of creating awesome content that gets you regular traffic to benefit from normal affiliate marketing or CPA Affiliate Marketing.
Here is a list of 5 CPA Networks to consider:
- Cash Network
- Adscend Media
Helpful Tips for Successful CPA Affiliate Marketing Campaigns
Once you are finally accepted into a CPA affiliate network, it is time to set up your successful campaigns.
Whilst blogging and creating content to gain traffic works, there are also a few other strategies that will work for CPA or PPC marketing campaigns. Remember the key is relevance.
- Creating a Landing Page – Landing pages differ from normal blog posts as it is a specific page where you funnel your website traffic into. A normal blog post will typically be there to help the reader, answer a question or educate or inform. A landing page is optimised to get the reader to follow the direction you want – clicks and conversions. Find ways to link to your landing pages from your blog posts and you can have an effective strategy. This will work for normal affiliate marketing too.
- Have fun with a Splash Page – This is a page that a visitor to your site lands on before hitting your website. It is often a fun page which can contain music, animations or graphics. It can be used to get visitors excited to engage in your site or a way to get them to take a specific action. Anytime someone hits a new site, they can have their guard up. This can sometimes let them relax before they hit your content. It also adds a bit of personality to your site too.
- Using Paid Ads (Carefully) – Paid Ads is a very effective marketing campaign and can be highly profitable… if you get it right. Otherwise it can end up costing you a fortune. But using places like Facebook Ads or Google AdWords can drive high levels of traffic to your website. If they take action with your CPA campaigns, then it can end up being a great cycle and strategy to use. But the key to this is setting yourself sensible budgets. Start small and only expand on the campaigns that are working.
These are just three of the many different strategies CPA Marketers use, but they are very effective. Affiliate Marketing and CPA Affiliate Marketing are definitely two campaigns that you can utilise together to grow your earnings online.
Whether you are just starting out or looking to expand your current online business, I would definitely recommend CPA Affiliate Marketing – just don’t rush ahead of yourself. Once you have consistent traffic then that is the time to start monetising your website. Some places like MediaVine expect 30k visitors a month before you can join but others are more accepting of lower traffic thresholds. Start with creating great content and explore these avenues at the right time.
If you have any questions or would like to know more about CPA Affiliate Marketing or Affiliate Marketing in general, please get in touch with a comment below. Look forward to hearing from you and good luck with your marketing campaigns.